Friday, June 15, 2012

Blurbs

Well, goodness....the last month has felt a bit like falling into a time warp, and I'm just now given a chance to breathe.  Now that I'm down to my final days in Rome I'm trying more than ever to pour as much of myself and my time in here as possible daily, so forgive my lapse in stateside communication!

Here's a run through of the last month, in reader-friendly bullet form to alleviate the lengthy recap:



  • Overall, our retreat was awesome.  We all needed a break from Rome, and the region we went to (Umbria) was absolutely beautiful.  The Lord really blessed us with rest and time together before splitting up indefinitely.  Unfortunately, the last night was pretty crazy...but certainly has been used as a bonding experience! Three thieves broke into the cabin where myself, Taylor, Cristina, Jason, Caleb, Dudley, and Janet were staying.  Jason ended up surprising and fighting with one, though fortunately when Caleb went out to help they all scattered and no one was severely injured.  Thanks to the boys, the only things that were taken were from the thieves' first stop- our (the girls') room.  Everyone else on our team was okay, and now I definitely have a new understanding of what the Scriptures mean when they say the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night (1st Thessalonians 5:2).
    • Caleb made a video showing the area, you can see it here.
  • On May 15th our gallery opened a new exhibit, my friend Francesco's art show.  The inauguration went very well, with over 200 people passing through.  He's working on an English translation of the poem that accompanies the photographs- once it's complete and online, I will post the link.  The exhibit is really incredible- unique technique, yes, but even more it gives a picture of the search one undergoes in life to find meaning....we pray God shows Francesco and the others that the answer is Himself!
  • flyer for the show

  • Taylor and I hit crazy land with exams at the university.  There was a big misunderstanding with the professor among students, and they came in droves to meet us for the oral exam substitution requirement (3 hours of conversation, broken up in 3 appointments each).  Needless to say, for those few weeks the two of us practically moved into the studio for lessons for the 70ish students we could cram together in the short time span.
  • My dad and Brooke came to visit for a weekend! That was fun, though super short.  It was great to see Brooke here for a few days, I'm very fortunate to have a family that's supported me so  much during my time here!

  • Since I'm leaving soon, the exchange girls have really banded together to find opportunities for us to hang out- it's been fantastic! We celebrated Manuela's birthday party with some hilarious karaoke, went to a strawberry festival in Nemi for a day, and miscellaneous other activities.  I'm so glad they are planning several things for us in the next three days, and pray the Lord will continue to work through our friendships!
  • Manuela wanted us all to wear red for the festival-
    it's all about the photo opps with her!

  • God has been doing some really cool things on our prayer walks down the Colombo (the highway near our apartments).  Cristina, Kyra, Taylor and I fit in one last outreach before we were split up, and it ended with us seeing very vividly what goes on in the darkness of the illicit sex industry.  While that occurrence affected us all greatly and will be an unforgettable image, we are thankful for the affirmation of the need for prayer and spiritual intervention in the hearts of those involved.  Also, God has given us favor with two of the girls, Paola and Bianca, who actually turn down clients who come up when we are visiting!
  • The long series of goodbyes has started among our international friend group...very sad.  Cristina was the first, and we have someone leaving every few weeks.  The upside of that is we (whoever is in Rome) tries to spend as much time as possible together, to make the most of these final weeks.  I have a feeling a few of these friends will be asking me some last minute, intense spiritual questions before I leave, so please pray the Spirit will give me the words to say when it's time. 
    • our new tradition, late night monument walks
  • On top of everything going on here, there have been some big changes for me stateside.  A few weeks ago I decided to move my law school enrollment from Mercer to UGA, well after the deadline of course. It's been a flurry of emails, arrangements, Skype conversations, etc, but I know when it's all said and done I will be excited to see what the Lord has in store for me in Athens since He so clearly redirected me!
  • Saving the biggest update for last...Manuela and I have been meeting on a weekly basis to talk about the Bible! Yáll, she is so, SO close to choosing a life with Christ...please be in prayer for her.  She comes to our lunches together with many things underlined in her Bible, difficult questions, and topics for discussion.  God has done a marvelous work in her to this point, so now we need to pray He carries it through to completion for her to make the leap of faith!

"...Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel."
-Ephesians 6:19

No comments:

Post a Comment